Monday, March 7, 2005

EH & Band rock Liverpool!

3/7: The last couple of days have been great! Last night, we played Liverpool
(that's right home of The Beatles - more on that later)
and had what could easily be our best show yet. Why? What are you asking me for?!
If I knew the answer to that, I'd play a great show every night! Seriously though,
I can attribute it to two significant changes. One, is a new stage setup that allowed for a
whole different perspective on how we all hear & see each other. Up until now, the drums
were always set up in the middle towards the rear of the stage and on a very high riser.
Additionally, there was always one of those clear plastic enlosures (there's a name for it but
I can't think of it) that isolated the sound of the drums so all you would get is whatever the
headphones would give you; little or no live sound at all (and what you did get
was always delayed by the enclosure). Anyhow, the horns are now where the drums used
to be and the drums are now stage left, to my left, on a shorter drum riser and sans the
"drum aquarium". What a difference! Second, over time, I had made some polite grumblings
about having to hear everything (particularly myself) through headphones and how nice it
would be to have a monitor for myself to pump the bass through. Lo & behold...
last night, there it was. I was treated to solid, floor-shaking bottom end for the first time
since we started the tour. Hallelulyah!
The whole band really responded to the new surroundings and Humpy, despite still feeling
the after-effects of the flu, seemed to have a skip in his step and a bigger-than-usual-smile
as well. We all fed off each other's good vibes and took the show to what I believe was
another level. Jeff - our MD, who I respect immensely - agreed that it was our best effort yet.


Before the show that day, Leo (guitar), Patch (percussion/vocals), and I took a trip to The Beatles Museum in Liverpool. It was a fantastic
exhibit located right on the Albert Docks near the waterfront. It was truly a multi-media experience with listening stations featuring commentary by
John Lennon's sister, George Martin, Allan-something (a former manager from the very early days), and Paul McCartney himself. There was a re-creation
of the famous Cavern Club in Liverpool where they honed their craft in the early 60's. There was plenty of video footage - much I hadn 't seen before - and
photographs to see. All in all, combined with touching memorials to both John & George, it affected me on several levels and I'm glad I went.


Liverpool, which I had imagined to be a smallish and somewhat rundown city will remain a favorite place for me.

Day-off today. Tomorrow...the something-something theater or hall or whatever (I can't keep track anymore) in the town of Douglas on the Isle of Man (where I am now)!  

Stay tuned music fans!
--Adam

No comments: