Sunday, March 20, 2005

Aunt Twerp

3/19, 10:51pm: Played the something-something blah-blah-blah Hall in Antwerp tonight. Fun, fun, fun! The band played like the intensity knob had been turned up just a notch; firey, but not reckless. Interesting audience. They were nuts about the music but, either because of the language barrier or comedy is appreciated about as much as a Snickers bar around here, the jokes fell flat. No problem. In three days I’ll be back in the good ol’ USA where the food is good, the cars are big, and you can see the air you breath.

Tomorrow we leave for Paris. I should have most of the day, once we arrive, to explore a bit.  Top of my list, even though it’s so “touristy”, is a visit to the Eiffel Tower. After that, I look forward to sampling the local food and the anti-Amercanism.

We’re at a really nice hotel in Antwerp that, unlike most of the hotels in the UK, actually has bathroom facilities from the 21st century. In other words, a decent shower and a sink with one faucet with hot & cold controls together; not the pre-WWII setup with one on each side. Either you’re shocked into a coma by the cold faucet or you burn the shit out of your hand with the hot one. No wonder everyone in that country walks around with a miserable look on their face. Well, that and the fact you can’t get a decent sandwich.

Anyhow, they also have a nice gym here which I availed myself of earlier this afternoon. I got in a good workout so I’m going to allow myself a few drinks in the bar with the guys. What the hell, we’ve got the day off tomorrow anyway.

Folks, this will be my next-to-last entry for the European tour. I’ll probably have something to report on Paris and perhaps the journey home and then that’s it. Of course, there’s much more to come and write about as we hit the States, Asia, and - much later - Germany. But for now, I want to say how much I appreciate those who took the time to read my words, take in my thoughts, and share my experiences. I’ve tried to be sincere. I’ve tried to be informative. And, even in my criticism, I’ve tried to inject a little levity. I hope you found the humor in it and recognized that it was rarely, if ever, mean-spirited. Perhaps, through me, you’ll find the desire to visit other places in the world, learn to appreciate them for their own uniqueness, and ultimately, recognize as I have, what a great country - flaws & all - we truly have.

Until next time...

--Adam

No comments: