Monday, June 13, 2005

Sri Lanka to Bangkok

6/13, 5:13pm: An ancient Chinese proverb says: “Man who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with smelly finger.” Well, I’ve arrived in Bangkok feeling as if I’ve left behind one giant itchy ass. I must say though, in all due respect, that the people of India and Sri Lanka were gracious hosts -- so eager to please -- and I did find the tropical island of Sri Lanka much to my liking. Nevertheless, I did not shed a tear as our plane lifted off the runway at approximately 3am this morning. Additionally, I’m happy to report that I’ve organized a special UN envoy to come to India and supply the country with free toilet paper...double-ply. Although the subject of doodie has become a favorite topic of discussion among the band & crew -- what with Delhi Belly (think Montezuma’s Revenge) becoming a problem for some (though, thankfully, not me) -- I will move on to more savory areas of discussion.

Driving from the airport to our hotel in Bangkok, I couldn’t escape the feeling that I’d awoken from some strange dream. Things here are modern and up to date much like any western city. Phone service is reliable and without the bizarre number sequences I encountered previously. The roads and main highways all have the look and clarity of direction that one would expect from in this day & age. However, it occurs to me -- even as I write this -- that there might be some charm and sense of adventure in rumbling over dark, unrefined avenues where people, vehicles, and animals mingle so freely. Yes, I do believe that.

I think the image that is etched in my mind about Colombo (Sri Lanka) is the sight of machine gun stations in & around the airport. There were also soldiers at almost every major intersection armed with AK-47s. The AK-47 is a name and an image that, for me , has always been synonymous with communism, rebels, coups, uprisings...basically the symbol and tool of choice for anything or anyone anti-American. To see these rifles literally feet away from you in the hands of such seemingly young people, was startling. On the flip side of that was the extreme lushness of the landscape and the striking optimism of the people (a quality that seemed absent in the people of India). I believe there is much Sri Lanka can offer as a destination for vacationers but also as a part of the world community. There has been ongoing civil war -- the nature of which eludes me -- that has lasted for 20 years or so. I know that if their resources were directed elsewhere and they could put this thing behind them, a truly wonderful country would emerge.

On a musical note, the band is in a groove not unlike a sports team that is on a winning streak. We just can’t seem to lose! And this, after I had a less than stellar night our last show. I really felt like my mind wasn’t in the game and I was on autopilot. And it’s funny because you start to talk to yourself: “Wow, I’m really coasting here. Why can’t I get dialed in? Gee, I can’t believe I just played that note. Hmmm, I’m standing here in front of 2000 people and blankly staring into the audience talking to myself. Okay, smile, let them see what a great time you’re having. Ugh, I bet I look like an idiot. Try looking serious & determined. Damn, another mistake! Shit.” And so it went.

No worries; tomorrow is our show in Bangkok and with that change in scenery comes a chance for a musical awakening as well.

Until next time...

Your friendly neighborhood bass player,
--Adam

No comments: