Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Sing, Sing, Singapore

6/22, 10:40am: We’re in Singapore now; a beautiful country/city. From what I’ve seen, this is one of the cleanest and safest places in the world. Things are so green and lush here that the buildings seem to have sprouted in between the trees as opposed to the other way around. The weather has not entirely cooperated -- cloudy and very humid with the occasional rain -- but it’s still a pleasure to walk around, sit at a cafe, and take in the surroundings.

With that in mind, I am unquestionably ready to go home. Malaysia was not a high point for me or the band (in as much as the show is concerned). I first joined up with this tour back in December of last year when they flew me out to do a couple of shows in Kuala Lumpur. It was a fascinating city and the weather, though very hot, was nice to take in. Though our location was different, I had expected more of the same and, with 5 days there, I was eager to arrive. To coin an oft-used American phrase; it sucked. Big time. If the Petronas Towers are the highest twin-towers in the world, then the Genting Highlands Resort just might be the highest pile of shit in the world. 1000’s of Asians flock to this rat hole to wander aimlessly through a maze of bad restaurants, shops, and arcades only to return to the filthiest hotel rooms I have yet to encounter. On top of all that, we had just come off a horrible show in Bangkok and were treated to an equally bad one on the first of two shows in Genting. Now, to be fair to my colleagues, the band was up to playing great and having another in a string of good shows. Unfortunately, Hurricane Humpy blew through the proceedings and turned the place into a disaster area. Engelbert is a fantastic singer & performer, so why not derive some pleasure from that wonderful gift, do the show, sing your heart out, and let the soundguys and the MD do their jobs? That kind of ranting & raving not only looks bad to the audience, but it sucks the enthusiasm out of all concerned.

Thankfully, a second show in Malaysia -- at a 5000 seat arena -- was a triumph in all respects and we were able to leave on somewhat of a high note. The short 45 minute flight to Singapore found everyone happy, a little tired, and anxious to move on.

On a personal note, I find myself healthier and in better shape than I possibly have ever been. Despite my passion for food, I’ve eschewed the buffets for the most part and have taken to eating smaller meals and putting my fork down sooner than I used to. I’ve treated myself to a massage on a couple of occasions after working out and I’ve gotten a few comments from the ladies working on me that I look 10 years younger than my age. They’re probably supposed to say that, but it was nice to hear anyway. One actually said I was too skinny! I haven’t heard that in a long, long time.

Musically speaking (or should I say “bassikly speaking”!), I find myself playing better. I expected my chops to atrophy a little -- and maybe on a creative/intuitive level they have (I’ll find out when I get home and have to play more interactive music) -- but I think the discipline of working within the parameters of the show has made me more conscious of the notes I choose, when & where to use them, and even how long or short (as in articulation) to play them. I not only feel -- even at 42 -- I have a greater understanding of my role as a bassist, but also how influential I can be in that role. It’s a great feeling and a new source of inspiration for me. I no longer have the need to play a great solo at some point in the gig (in any gig, for that matter) in order to feel I’ve made a valid contribution. Another lesson learned, in a lifetime of lessons, that was learned late but learned nonetheless.

On that note, I will say goodbye until we meet again.

Stay tuned!
--Adam

No comments: