Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Sayonara!

6/29, 11:17pm: Played our final show of the Asian tour tonight at the Tokyo International Forum. It’s a beautiful venue and, by all appearances, quite new. As was the case in Paris when we closed out the European tour, the band wanted to give it one last hurrah and played with energy and enthusiasm. As I looked around the stage during the show, I could see smiles all around as if we all sensed the same mixture of sadness and satisfaction that comes with a final performance. I really feel fortunate to have shared the stage with such great people. After six months on the tour now, I am also grateful for the friendships I have forged along the way.

Some closing thoughts...

Advancements in communication as well as travel have given us reason to utter the words “Small world, isn’t it?”.  And indeed, in many ways, it is. On the other hand, my experiences thus far give me reason to feel that our world remains huge in its diversity. I doubt I will ever feel that more than I do now. I imagine I will come home and settle back into the familiar comforts of my country and all it’s Americanism, but I will never again assume that what I’ve come to know as an American is how it is for the rest of the world.

This broadened scope I have coincides with another event in my life that will also serve to broaden my view of things; my lovely Beth & I are expecting a baby! Due date...late December. Now, for those of you doing the math, that means I didn’t just find out today. Well, you’re right. I didn’t. I did however want to wait on breaking the news until I was sure everything was alright with both mother and baby. And, thank God, all is well. She’s at the end of the first trimester which, I understand, is the most difficult and also the biggest hurdle to see if the little guy (or gal) is going to make it. Beth went in for an ultrasound and says she now knows the gender. I’ve decided to wait until I get home to find out. I’ll let you all know in my next entry. (How’s that for a cliffhanger!)

We have all of July off before we hit the good ol’ USA in August. Some destinations I look forward to: Massachusetts, Las Vegas, and New York (among others).

What does the future hold for me? With a baby on the way and a woman who needs me, my time on the tour could be coming to a temporary close in the next couple of months. I only know that even as that door may close, another one is opening. I intend to step through that open door with eyes wide open; ready to embrace the unconditional love of both my partner and our child and accept the obligations thereof that have come to make me feel like a true citizen of the world. Regardless of where my musical journeys may take me, I will continue this journal -- on or off the road -- and hope that those who have taken the time to read these words will stay along for the ride.

I remain, as always, your friendly neighborhood bassist,
--Adam

No comments: