Monday, February 28, 2005

A Spot of Tea

2/28: Woke up (well, I had already been up for a while) and took a look out my window around 6:40am to find...snow! With the seaside setting and the old-towne architecture it was quite beautiful & serene.

Pulled myself together with a flurry - several layers of clothing - and bounded outside to explore the town of Eastbourne. Within minutes I found the town center and looked for a place to grab some breakfast. I was angry at myself for lazily going for the hotel breakfasts and not venturing out more often. In addition to being much more expensive, eating in the hotel afforded me too much temptation to simply return to my room and go back to bed. Not this time!

Being that it was just past 7am, there wasn’t much open, but it did affiord me the chance to see what was around and let me get my bearings for a later excursion. Finally I came upon a little bakery that was open and serving breakfast. Perfect! I went inside and a friendly chap wearing an apron and a smile greeted me. They had a variety of choices and a pretty good selection of pastries. I had the tomato & egg breakfast which consisted of an egg, sliced fried tomatoes, a slice of bacon (different from the States in that it’s more like a slice of ham), and toast. Very nice. I also, upon the suggestion of the lovely Beth, decided to finally try the famous English tea. I was not disappointed. First they pour some milk in your cup and then the tea, which is already made in large quantities (as opposed to the individual tea bags we get at home) and comes out of what looked like a tap. A bit of sugar and it was a little cup of heaven! I finished everything off with another cup of tea and a pastry with maple, walnuts, and drizzled with chocolate.

Also on the agenda is a bit of practicing, relaxing with my book downstairs in the lobby near one of the huge bay windows, working out with my now-famous Aqua Bells, and another walk into town. Additionally, I reserve the option to take a nap at any time. I understand we’ll be going out for dinner to an Indian restaurant to celebrate Lacey’s (one of our singers) birthday. I’ll have the Tums on standby.

That’s it for now folks!

Stay tuned,
--Adam

No comments: