Friday, February 18, 2005

Glasgow, Blackpool by tour bus...

2/18: Greetings music lovers! As I write this, I’m sitting in the dressing room of the Church Street Opera House in Blackpool, England. It’s a rather antiquated place that I understand is one of the sites of some of Engelberts very first shows. Lots of history here as well as some fond memories for Humpy and his fans.

Last night was our one show in Scotland. We played a beautiful venue in Glasgow...The Royal Concert Hall. I have pictures of both these places and while they undoubtedly are decades apart, there is a certain charm to each one.

Though we only had two days there, Glasgow has so far become a favorite of mine. I had a chance to take a walk through downtown one afternoon and found the city, and the people, to be energizing. Surprisingly, though it was hovering around 48 degrees outside, I was enjoying the weather and the way it almost seemed to propel me through my walk. It was invigorating! There was an abundance of restaurants, shops, clubs, and businesses all housed in refreshingly older buildings that reflected a city with a long history & tradition. Such a nice change from the endless stream of mini-malls and chain stores at home.

One of our horn players, an English chap named Ash Horton (trombone), has just stopped in and I asked him about some of the gigs he’s had here in England. It looks like the American musical is well-represented here as Ash has been in the orchestra for Fosse, West Side Strory, Chicago, The Lion King, as well as work with Lorna Luft and a “Rat Pack” tribute show. Very nice, Ash!

Back to the show in Glasgow...the audience was simply the best we’ve had yet. They greeted Engelbert as if he were a conquering hero. The roar as he entered the stage was huge and I found it got me pumped up for the show. (A welcome boost since I found myself really dragging that day due to difficulty sleeping the night before).

Starting today, we’ll be travelling the rest of the tour in Europe via tour bus. It’s quite nice, with 15 or so sleeper beds, a downstairs & upstairs lounge - both equipped with TVs and video equipment - and two refrigerators. With the sleeping quarters being so closed in, I got a taste of what it must be like living on a submarine. I had to make sure I was just dreaming when I thought I heard Admiral Humperdinck yell “up periscope!”.

We have terrific cooks toruing with us and I hear dinner is being served. Gotta run! Tonight, Blackpool...tomorrow, London!

Stay tuned,
--Adam

No comments: