Saturday, July 14, 2007

Paris 2007: Part 2 - Opening Night and Beyond

7/14/07: Hello from Rotterdam in The Netherlands (or Holland, take your pick). I’m gazing out my hotel room window which overlooks the main drag here and further on down to the waterway which is crested by a white, very modern-looking, suspension bridge.

<Sidebar: Okay, now I know I’m definitely not in the US anymore; I hear accordian music wafting up from the street.>

I have a backlog of events to relate and I will do my best to remember...

Naturally, our first show is at the top of my list. Things unfolded rather grimly that afternoon at soundcheck as our percussionist, whose equipment was lost in transit from London to Paris, was having to make do with a bass drum, snare drum and other assorted odds & ends that were quite foriegn to his accustomed setup. Bryan plays aninstrument called a djembe (hope I spelled that correctly) which is a rectangular box that emanates a variety of tones, textures, and sounds. You actually sit on the instrument itself and, depending upon the desired effect, can be played with either hands, sticks, or brushes. I think it’s fair to say that it’s the core of Bryan’s whole percussion rig and an important element in the band’s sound. Like a true professional, he carried on and we all waited for some kind of lucky break. That lucky break came about two hours later in the form of what looked like a quality djembe that was procured by our crack road management team. Smiles all around and the soundcheck wrapped up on a positive note.

Everyone scattered for dinner; I walked across the street to a little grill joint while the rest of the gang ventured elsewhere. I had a delicious sandwich with grilled marinated chicken on a toasted roll and french fries (though there they call them American fries strangely enough...just kidding).

So, how was our first show? It was an unequivocal success! Two encores and calls for a third. I was very happy with the bass I had (we’re taking the rental route since shlepping my double bass across oceans and continents wasn’t an option) and felt like the band really rallied and took the music up anotch. Afterward, people clamored around the entrance to our dressing room and, as I frequently had to do on the Engelbert tour, politely mentioned that I was too tired for autographs and would they mind settling for Anajani or Leonard Cohen.

Back at the hotel, smiles all around and the energizing feeling of things getting off to a good start.

Got into Amsterdam - where we’re playing the North Sea Jazz Festival - yesterday afternoon after a short flight from Paris. This time they forgot our guitarist’s pedal board. Good thing we didn’t have a show until Sunday so aside from some understandable annoyance cool heads prevailed.

We checked into our hotel and when I headed up to my room I found myself sharing an elevator ride with none other than Joe Zawinul! To those of you who may not know, Joe Zawinul is a legendary composer and keyboardist who got his first big break as pianist with Cannonball Adderly, co-founded the band Weather Report, and has written several tunes that have become staples in the jazz lexicon; “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy” and “Birdland” among them. Not a bad way to start my stay here!

So, with the dulcet tones of streetcars, seagulls, and the accordian, I head off to my book and syndicated American TV.

Until next time...

Your friendly neighborhood bassist,
--Adam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is something i dreamt about when i was younger. you sound like you are in the joy of life and enjoy every min.