Friday, July 13, 2007

Paris 2007: Part 1 - Back In The Saddle

7/11/07: Well, to those of you who have sustained an interest in my journal over the last year or so - a less than prolific time for it - I wish to announce that I’m back on tour and anxious to share my musical and personal journeys once again. Welcome readers new & old!

I’m sitting up in bed in my hotel room in Paris watching CNN International (the only English-speaking station I could find) and jotting down the kind of thoughts that could only reveal themselves at 3:30am. No, I have not been up all night. Rather, I powered through a 9-hour flight from L.A. to London, a two-hour layover at Heathrow, a one-hour flight from London to Paris, dinner with band & management (more on that later) and finally retreated to my room where I slept deeply from 10pm till about 1:30am. I know, 3 1/2 hours is nothing to crow about but it was deep satisfying sleep unimpeded by cramped seats, inrusive public announcements, and gaseous passengers. I am hoping after some writing here and a bit of reading that I can get a few more hours under my belt before breakfast.

To set the table; I am on a three week tour of Europe with the artist Anjani. Anjani, a native of Hawaii, is a talented singer/songwriter (think Norah Jones, Joni Mitchell, etc.) who plays piano and composes rather lovely, intimate pieces laden with imagery and personal emotions. The arrangements - though rich in melody & harmony - are quite sparse and present a somewhat unexpected challenge for me as a bassist. That is, where are broad brush strokes called for and where do I shade things a bit lighter? In this music, the line has proven to be quite narrow between finding that place and missiing the mark. Additionally, I am tackling some backgound vocal parts which is exciting & fun but also, admitttedly, not one of my strongest skills. I am hoping (as I’m sure my bandmates are) that with continued experience my singing will improve.

Dinner earlier today (now yesterday) revolved around the kind of service that my beautiful Beth would have typically described as “disgusting”.  At least the food was great (oh wait, I’m chomping on Tums like candy here!). Nevertheless, the company was great and it felt good to take a short stroll through the area and get the “airplane film” off of me.

Tomorrow is our first show. We’re playing at the premier jazz club here called New Morning.
Needless to say, I’m very excited and anxious to get that first gig under my belt. We’ve got Mark McMillen on keyboards, Steve Gregory on guitar (an old friend who ten years ago recommended me for the Ray Charles auditions), and Brian Brock on percussion. They’re fine musicians and, as I’m finding out, great cats to hang out with. A sure recipe for success.

Until next time music fans...

Your friendly neighborhood bassist,
--Adam

No comments: