Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Long and Winding Road: Oslo to London

7/24/07: I've got a cold. It's the one thing I was determined not to have happen to me on this tour; three weeks of planes, damp climates, and lots of second-hand smoke and dammit I was not going to get sick! I blame it on Oslo. Not the city, but rather my stupidity for not listening to my body when I felt rundown after our show there. Instead of returning to my room and preparing for an early flight to London by getting some rest, I joined my bandmates for a few beers at the bar next door. Now, these aren't Budweisers, these are European beers engineered to help you forget you're freezing your ass off 10 months out of the year. I woke up feeling horrible and angry at myself for not being sensible.

If that were the end of it, that would be fine. Instead I had to endure an hour flight delay, a half hour stuck on the tarmac upon our arrival, and three hours being detained by the UK immigration officials. Why? Because when I presented them with my passport they asked me what my reason for visiting the UK was. I answered that it was work-related to which they responded by asking to see my work permit. I didn't have one. No one did. But they all got through and - I suppose by the luck of the draw - I was the shlemiel who got flagged. Anyway, 3 hours and multiple phone calls later, I was on my way out of Heathrow and on to the hotel.

It's a beautiful hotel called The Mayfair right in the heart of London's theater district. We had a great show - maybe our best - last night at The Pigalle Club (a very upscale  night club a few blocks from the hotel). It was packed to the rafters and I mean that literally because it had two levels with a balcony level overlooking the stage. It made for an exciting evening filled with a palpable energy from both the audience & the band.

On a personal level it was the first gig where I had a bass that was truly a fine instrument both in sound & playability. It was a German flatback built in the 1920's and just sounded like maple syrup. I secretly wished I could take it home. I generally haven't complained thus far about the instruments they've rented for me (it's a pointless exercise and why be a source of discomfort to people who have a hundred other things to worry about?) as they have little control as to what is sent from the backline companies. Besides, Steve and Simon (our tour managers), are two lovely British chaps who I've come to like a great deal. Nevertheless, I was so overjoyed by being able to do the gig on a professional quality instrument that I had to share my euphoria with them and subsequently allude to a clunker or two from past shows. I left it that and proceeded to have my best performance of the tour. I think Anjani felt it too as she flashed me a smile during the show suggesting that I was perhaps a key ingredient in helping to lift the proceedings a bit. Naturally, I am part of a group and I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the incredibly musical contributions of my bandmates (Bryan Brock, Steve Gregory, Mark McMillen, and Dominique Plaisant). We all helped frame Anjani's beautiful voice and compositions perfectly.

Well, my nose is running and it's time for another Alka Seltzer. I've got two whole days off in London to recuperate. Beth wants me to get out and see the city. Perhaps a bit of London air will do me some good. That, and some self-indulgent lazing around my hotel room with my book, my computer, and thoughts of home & family.

Until next time...

Your friendly neighborhood bassist,
--Adam

No comments: