Thursday, January 14, 2010

Winter 2010

Not sure if anyone still follow this blog - had a minor following during my Engelbert days - but I'm due for another post. Hope someone's out there to enjoy it.

As I write this, I marvel at the sheer volume of blogs, Podcats, articles, magazines and the like that are out there covering & addressing practically every subject under the sun. Makes it rather challenging to contribute something fresh, and worthy of the attention.

My perspective on things, though not novel, is certainly one of a field less crowded. The freelance musician occupies a space in the world that is highly visible (and/or audible) yet is often mysterious to the casual observer or listener. We peddle our wares - in this case our abilities as creative, skilled musicians - to whomever & wherever they'll have us. When I'm asked by someone what it is that I do, and I say "I'm a musician", it is often met with "Oh! What's the name of your band?". I usually reply with a smile and say that I'm not in a band, per se, but rather perform & record in various settings and that my work entails that I play a variety of music. This is sometimes met with surprise. I then try to help by pointing out that much of the music we hear in the world around us is composed & played by people who's career in music is similar to mine. We show up to a job at a specific time with other musicians we may or may not have met before, and play music we may or may not have played before, and do it with the utmost precision and musicality. Hopefully there is a fair wage to be made upon completion.

This may seem quite removed from the "Hollywood" version of the rail-thin, excitable, and chemically-altered rock musician. Let's just say we couldn't maintain careers with that state of mind or work ethic.

I sign off by expressing my gratitude for being able to have carved out at least a small piece of the pie for myself and for so many years now. As the father of a 4-year-old girl and with a family to help support, it presents more of a challenge than ever. What lies ahead is uncertain, but I will endeavor to do my best and make those who love me proud.

Until next time...
Adam

No comments: